Saturday, November 5, 2011

World Nomads Photography Scholarship 2011

Taken by Jason Edwards for National Geographic: one of the photos on the scholarship homepage
 It's that time of year again for me to be crushed by rejection. I am talking about the scholarships that World Nomads holds ever year. They have three main ones: a photography scholarship, a writing scholarship, and a documentary scholarship. Since I don't have any interest in making documentaries, I have submitted to the photography and the writing ones. Last year was my first attempt at both and I did not even make it to the semi-finalist round. This year, my goal is to win but if not, then I would like honorable mention at the very least.

Photography comes around first and here is the link to my submission: My World Nomad's Photography Scholarship Submission

Be sure to click through to the flickr set so that you can see the captions.

Here is the criteria by which my photographs/writing will be judged:

 1. The closing date and time is calculated on Australian time. (November 8th 2pm Australian Eastern Daylight time sharp! - Late entries will not be accepted!)
Be sure you know when that equates to your local time so that you don’t miss the cut off!

2. Don’t leave it until the last minute to upload your entry, as there may be a backlog.

3. Remember to supply image captions!

4. Use the 300-word essay to tell me about yourself, your photography, and what you hope to achieve through your photography. It’s your opportunity to sell yourself! Do NOT use this text to tell me about the images you submitted that’s what image captions are for.

5. Revisit the Judging Process and read all ten points to be sure you have done what is asked.

6. DO NOT EXCEED THE 300 WORD ESSAY LIMIT! Entries that exceed the limit CANNOT win!!! Seriously, just do a word count on your text.

7. This is not an event for professionals, be sure you do not qualify as such (see Am I Eligible video).

8. Don’t include a weak image in your submission, if you have four great images and one weak image leave it out.

9. Your images are meant to illustrate a PLACE you have visited, and the SENSE OF PLACE must be palpable.

10. The ‘place’ does not have to be exotic it can be your neighbourhood, your bedroom or the other side of the planet it really doesn’t matter.

11. If you are a finalist I WILL penalise you for excessive treatment of your images. Losing a single point might cost you the Scholarship so please be conservative when preparing your images! If in doubt please re-read the Digital Adjustment Guidelines.

12. We are looking for an individual with potential, and the greatest desire to listen and learn. I am working on this assignment and will need your assistance; this will take patience and focus.


Here is the link to browse the other submissions: All Submissions I tend not to because I start getting discouraged...

I would really appreciate any and all feedback. Otherwise, wish me luck!


0 comments:

Post a Comment