Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Unsettled TCK! 

Picture from the annual Christmas Fair in Alanya.

Mosque and a Christmas tree in harmony. Taken during the annual Christmas fair in Alanya.

Entrance to Alanya's annual Christmas Fair.

Trees, Santa, ships, shops, carol singers, and cookies at the annual Christmas Fair in Alanya.

I am currently spending Christmas with my Gentleman Friend (I'm experimenting with his label) in Alanya and even went to Antalya to spend a couple of days in the big city. This is also the home region of Saint Nicholas, so clearly I am having the ultimate Christmas experience. I started thinking back over the years and came up with a list of where I've spent previous Christmases. Crank up the Michael Buble Christmas album and enjoy:

1. Calcutta - I think... I was a baby!

2. Taiwan - Don't remember this one either.

3. Beijing - My first memory of snow. I wanted to preserve this cold, white goodness so I stuffed a whole bunch in a bucket and stuffed it into the freezer. This was not a well thought-out plan.

4. New Delhi - My brother convinced me he was Santa Claus and my Grandma gave me a cotton candy maker. Pretty much the greatest gift ever for a child.

5. Ohio - Traditional Christmas with my American family. Kids running amuck and adults trying to keep the peace and provide a delicious meal. 

6. Virginia - I got the first Harry Potter book for Christmas when I was eleven. I was crushed that I had already passed the age for receiving a Hogwarts letter. It was devastating.

7. Hong Kong - Many years spent in Hong Kong. Usually included some sort of extravagant buffet dinner and a whole lot of shopping.

8. Manila (and a few other cities in the Philippines) - The Philippines begins Christmas in October. It is quite an experience. If you spend it on an island then you are guaranteed lots of booze!

9. Xining - Ipad Christmas tree and a trip to Cafe Java (best cafe in the city). Here is my wonderful post from last year detailing my Christmas adventures: Happy Holidays from Xining (Yes, my love affair with Michael Buble has continued).

10. And now Alanya! - Already attended the annual Christmas Fair (post is forthcoming) and now planning on a (hopefully) fun-filled lunch with fellow expats. Best part is that I don't have to bake a turkey, which would be a bit of an over-kill for two people.

My tribute Calvin and Hobbes snowman that I made for Christmas in Virginia a couple of years ago.

Whether or not you celebrate, I wish you a wonderful winter season!

2 comments: