Friday, September 3, 2010

Hong Kong: Scams, Action Movies and Realtors

So I've been remiss in my entries and I feel guilty. So here's an update of my dealings of late:
1. I'm in Hong Kong
2. I have no job
3. I have no permanent place to live yet
4. Due to my excessive use of lightroom and photoshop, most of what I see appears slightly washed out...
5. I am inundated with realtors
6. I haven't joined a gym but the sheer amount of walking that I do makes up for that in spades
7. I'm realizing just how bad my Cantonese has become
8. Rain boots are surprisingly warm on the inside and unfortunately retain water if water makes its way inside
9. Watched the Expendables and realized how much I miss 80s/90s action movies and their stars
10. I have been delicately navigating through the tangled webs of familial responsibility
11. I have been making friends with the local butchers in order to better photograph their ghastly wares

That's about it... the vast vast VAST majority of my time has been concerned with the whole apartment thing. I never want to do this again, little did I know just how spoiled I had been when I was younger with the U.S. Embassy finding me housing. I've thus far encountered one scam (didn't fall for it though! The woman was allegedly a Swedish nurse who lives in Spain and is engaged, about to be married, and doesn't care about the rent her deceased father's apartment would generate... I think not). A serviced apartment (hotel-like existence with furnishings and cleaning service) seems like the best bet but I just can't let go of the idea of a relatively nice kitchen in which I can help save even more money by cooking.

Other than that, I went to the Peak the other night so I'll leave you with some pretty pictures of Hong Kong's nightscape!


This last one was just to freak you out! Can you figure out what it is? Told you some of my stuff was morbid...
Write back soon-ish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment