Saturday, March 26, 2011

Actual Website: Dealings with Wordpress.org

*Website is down permanently. Did not justify the cost.*

I'm not sure if I ever did this but I thought I'd go ahead and share an actual photography website that I've been working on. When I first started, I had no idea how to use html, flash, etc... aaaaand I still don't! I thought it would be a great plan to get a free wordpress site and then use one of their free templates. I didn't want to pay for professional services (bad mistake) and I didn't want to pay for one of the reeeeally fancy photography flash sites like: http://www.photobiz.com/

Well, step one was accomplished: downloaded the free wordpress.org software.

Just a heads up, wordpress.org and wordpress.com are different. wordpress.org is a software which you can use to create a website or a blog. wordpress.com is just a blog site. This was very confusing to me when I was deciding to do this... Basically you actually have to find a site to host you, meaning you need to pay some money (the amount depends on how reliable you want your site) and then you can upload this wordpress software on there. From this point, you can choose one of the free templates on the site or buy one from sites like: http://themeforest.net/

After trying out as many free options as possible, there just didn't seem to be the amount of range that I wanted, so I ended up purchasing a template from themeforest. Now, theoretically at this point you should be able to just load on the template et voila... However, if you are computer illiterate like me, then you are in for a world of pain...

After this, there was a parade of problems that ranged from uploading pictures to making sure that the labels worked. It was awful. Finally, I ended up roping my boyfriend, my brother, AND his professional computer buddy to help me out. It took the three of them and a very complicated switching of permissions (or something) to fix the glitches.

Here is the finished copy, which I still need to update:

http://ceciliahphotography.com/

To be honest, at this point I'm also trying to get into Flickr since I got caught up looking at photos of this girl who did the 365 days thing, but I feel like the only reason Flickr is worth it is if you opt for the pro account.


Her photos get better as she goes farther up! I actually found her from this wonderful site:

My Modern Met: Levitation

Warning: This is dangerously addictive. At the bottom there are usually recommended other blogs/photos and pretty soon you won't be able to stop clicking...


Here are some pretty pictures:







0 comments:

Post a Comment