Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hello, India: Visas, Hotels, and Plane Tickets, Oh My!

My life has finally come together again. After the amount of venting and crazy that came out in the last post, everything just happened within a couple of days. I guess that's how it is supposed to work. I have gone from such a low low to such a high high and it feels great. Barring the ordinary stress that comes with moving, e.g. packing, making sure I repair all the holes in the walls and get my security deposit back, etc, I am feeling pretty good about my circumstances.

Before I launch into what's happening and to give anyone details about visa stuff to India, I just want to say: X-Men First Class is a must-see. I saw it a couple of days ago and it blew me away. It's better than a ton of movies I've seen recently. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like the pacing is off in a lot of films coming out these days. They're really slow in some parts, then rushed in the next and there's no real build up or depth. X-Men did not suffer from this at all and I'd highly recommend people go see it!

Frankenstein's Monster (GREAT SONG)  (also, I don't know why it bothers some people so much when people say Frankenstein instead of Frankenstein's monster... Seems like a strange pet peeve!)

Anyway, so last Thursday, I found out I couldn't go where I originally wanted to go. In a way this was incredibly relieving. The hardest part of what was happening in my life was that I was powerless. Until I found out one way or another where I would end up, I couldn't even begin planning anything. Well, after getting the axe, I immediately launched into plan B and tried to find as many cheap one way flights as I could to India. Since I'm not sure about when I'm leaving (barring the three month visa deadline), I thought it best to wait to buy an exit ticket.

I first looked on Student Universe since it has pretty low cost tickets. Then I went on Fare Compare. Originally prices listed in Student Universe were cheaper but on Friday, it switched. I was conflicted between $380 flights that routed through Dhaka but had ridiculous layovers versus more expensive but more convenient flights. I ended up deciding on a $450 flight through Singapore that only has a 2 hour layover. Plus it's with Singapore airlines which is one of the nicest airlines in the world!

After getting the ticket, I went about looking for hostels/hotels in Delhi. I ended up finding nice ones through Hostel World and Hostel Bookers (both sites are terrific, but make sure to compare!).

After making a booking, I set about researching the whole visa process. Apparently India has been cracking down on what I imagine to be hippies outstaying their welcome (Cartman would be thrilled) and the way they are doing this is to restrict the flexibility of tourist visas. I don't mean to say that it's difficult or even frustrating to get one, but it is probably best to know the limitations before applying.

Since I applied in Hong Kong, the Indian Consulate actually outsourced their visas to another company:


They are located in East Tsim Tsa Tsui (TST).

Here is the tourist visa information for Hong Kong residents who have had their residency for more than two years:


You can apply for a 3 month tourist (what I did) or a 6 month (it seems to say you can) or shorter amount of time visa that is single entry. While you are in India, you may not apply for an extension or change the type of your visa. Once your time limit is up, you:

a) have to leave India
b) can't reapply for at least two months afterwards

Basically, on the site that I gave the link to, you fill out the form and then print it out. This form actually lets you click on one year multiple entry BUT that is wrong. I filled out two forms, one with the one year and one with the three month, just in case. I ended having to use the three month. Apparently the one year was reserved for business visas.

Also, if you have NOT lived in Hong Kong for two years with a residency, then you also need a personal particulars form. This is extremely easy since the form on the site just compiles everything in a PDF and you just click on the bottom. I will say that, just in case, I did print out a personal particulars  form and they took it along with my actual application.

So in addition to the form, you need to bring a photocopy of your HK ID and your passport as well as your passport. I went in the afternoon but I heard that if you go in the morning before 10am, they will actually be able to give you your visa at 5:30pm that same day. When I went, they told me the next day. Pick up time for visas is apparently 5:30-6:00pm. Also, there wasn't much of a line or wait, so it was pretty efficient and straightforward. It ended up costing HKD500 and something for everything.

My boyfriend has not been a HK resident for more than two years, so he had to go the longer route. For American citizens, clearance has to be gotten from the American Embassy before this company can process the visa. They say it takes five working days but I overheard one guy trying to negotiate for a bit less. It cost a bit over HKD600 for him but he didn't have to pay the whole thing in one go. It was about HKD300 per session. He actually got to take his passport home but when he is supposed to call and see when he can come in so the company can process the visa. When the green light is given, he needs to bring his passport and the remaining money. Then it seems that it will take around the same amount of time as mine.

We're in a bit of a time crunch since they're not open on the weekends and we go to Macau on Monday (luckily, he can get in with his HK ID) and don't get back until late on Tuesday and then Wednesday we're moving and dealing with the gas people coming to look at our meter. The gas company is the only company that needs this so since we're leaving on Thursday, the gas guy is going to swing around at 5:30 and then we have to get to the company to pay the bill before they close and we have to leave Hong Kong. Since they have that pickup rule, the only time we can do this is tomorrow, Friday. Wish us luck!

So that's the basic process! Sorry if this was a bit dull to get through but I'm just so relieved that I feel the need to share.

Timeline:

Thursday find out bad news.
Friday book plane tickets.
Saturday book hotel.
Tuesday (Monday was a holiday) applied for visa
Wednesday received visa and confirmed hotel bookings!

Hopefully everything will turn out! =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment