Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hong Kong and Lhasa

I am currently on my way back to Hong Kong after three months in Lhasa. For the occasion, I have compiled a list of things that I am looking forward to in Hong Kong and things that I will miss about Lhasa. 

Everything that I am looking forward to applies only to my individual situation. I am not making any sweeping claims about what anyone else experiences or their priorities. I also know that some problems are beyond the control of any of the hotel staff and the people I am around.


Hong Kong 
I think Hong Kong looks better at night.
  1. Food variety
I miss the sheer diversity of food in Hong Kong for cheap to reasonable prices. I love Tibetan food, I love Chinese food but I miss being able to go out for something as simple as a burger. Or going up the alley in LKF that serves Thai, Indonesian, and Malaysian food without costing me all my money. While most restaurants here offer western fare, with the exceptions of St. Regis and La Bon Vie, they aren't great.

     2. Reliably hot showers

Call me spoiled but nothing beats the feel of a piping hot shower, especially as it gets colder. Showers at Dekang tend to be hot but will occasionally, seemingly at random, become lukewarm to chilly. 

    3. Not smelling smoke everywhere

Bans against smoking in public spaces/hotel rooms haven't quite made it over. I am really looking forward to being able to not be surprised by clouds of smoke in elevators and bathrooms in the hotel. Hong Kong is crazy about not smoking in public places and that is ridiculously exciting.

   4. Having the shower drain properly

During my stay, I have noticed that the shower drains more and more poorly. Every time I shower, it is like taking a knee bath at the same time. 

   5. Consistent internet

For about a month now, the internet has been shutting off at 2:00-2:30am. This isn't a problem for most people but because I am a night owl, it isn't very pleasant. Having made my peace with this restriction, a new issue has cropped up within the last couple of weeks. The internet will now randomly fluctuate throughout the day and become agonizingly slow for long periods. I am SO excited about having fast, reliable internet 24/7.

   6. Family and friends

I haven't seen my mom or brother for over a year and I am flying to Hong Kong to see them. I am very excited to be able to spend some time with them since I won't be heading back stateside until March. I also have some close friends in HK and, as much as I enjoy the company of the Boy, it will be nice to see everyone again.

Lhasa
It's nigh impossible to get a night shot of the whole of Lhasa.

   1. Tibetan food

While I do crave variety, I am a huge fan of anything with yak meat. I will especially miss Momos (the yak filled dumplings), Thukpa (noodle soup), and Tsaksha Lapuk (yak and radish soup).

  2. The view

The mountains surrounding Lhasa are some of the most gorgeous I have seen. There is nothing quite like waking up in the morning and seeing snow covered mountains in the distance. Not to mention the fact that because they are so far and vast, the clouds and the sun illuminate various portions.

  3. Dekang Hotel

For all my griping, Dekang has become my home and my comfort zone. The room is spectacular and I know the area really well. The staff here are incredible and extremely accommodating. They are so friendly and I will definitely miss them.

 4. Some of the monasteries

There are some monasteries here that are quiet and under the tourist radar. These are my favourite to visit since they have really neat little areas like caves and rooftop chapels.

  5. Mastiffs

I love, love LOVE mastiffs as you can see from this post An Ode to Tibetan Mastiffs. I will miss seeing mastiffs everywhere and especially the big red girl right now the street.

 6. Friends

I have made a few friends here and will miss seeing them!

Hopefully I will be able to come back in a month, but for now I will enjoy some delicious dim sum!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly where you are coming with these things. I just got to Hong Kong from Palawan in the Philippines (4h of electricity a day, cold showers, very poor Internet, limited food options etc etc). Loving HK right now, such luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jarmo,

    Oh, Palawan is BEAUTIFUL! I got the worst sunburn of my life there, but it was worth it. I hope the natural views of the place made up for what lacked in amenities! Hong Kong knows its stuff when it comes to luxury ;)

    ReplyDelete