Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An Ode to Tibetan Mastiffs

I have fallen in love with mastiffs. I think they are adorable, sweet, and very friendly. I know that they are traditionally viewed as guard dogs and can be raised to be aggressive, but all of the ones that I have seen are sweethearts. Plus, any dog can be brought up to be mean. I would eventually like a mastiff or at least a mastiff mutt. I have seen two main colors: red and black. While pedigreed mastiffs are notoriously expensive, I found some on Thieves' Island that were not a bad price. If you are interested in the exchange, read the post here: Thieves Versus Sun

Before running off to get one, look at the links I provided at the bottom of the page. These dogs require real commitment and can be difficult to manage. Every dog should be for life, so think hard before making an investment. 

In honor of these amazing dogs, here is a post with pictures that I have taken of different mastiffs here in and around Lhasa:

This is the puppy I met in January and fell in love with
Best dog ever.
This is a red mastiff that lives right down the road from our hotel.
She bowled me over! So adorable.
She is very interested in other dogs. Also very friendly to them!

She is also very slobbery!
If she doesn't want to move, she won't.
One of the mastiffs in the zoo in Nobulingka =(
The mastiff outside the bridge over Kyichu River.
If you are interested in learning more about mastiffs, check out these sites:





2 comments: