Monday, September 24, 2012

Embrace the Fear of Travel

In Cappadocia where I learned about the Muslim protests. Hot air ballooning is also something some people would deem unsafe.
Heads up, this is a three part blog post about Ambassador Stevens death, how awesome Turks are, and how people should work through being afraid of the unknown.

Also, read this article: The Thankless Task of the Foreign Service Officer

With all of the outrage going out in the news about protests in any country that has Muslims (which is most, if not all), I have noticed a sharp increase in fear. Fear of terrorists, fear of hatred, fear of the outpour of anger. And to an extent, I do understand. With the death of the U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and the other Americans with him, a spotlight has been cast on diplomats and all overseas Americans. His death was a terrible tragedy and I join the world in mourning his passing. However, I don't think that anyone is helped by meeting this tragedy with fearful aggression. Reports are now streaming in that there has been a Libyan backlash against the militia who caused the American deaths (Furious Libyans Attack Militia Linked to US Ambassador's DeathBacklash Against Terrorist Militias). 

All diplomats, military, and those overseas in an official capacity take risks upon themselves and their families when they choose to represent their nation. I am a diplobrat and, especially when my father became Consul General in Chennai and then Manila, I grew up with compounds, heightened security in schools, and the knowledge that embassies were built a certain distance from the wall circling them so that a blast wouldn't hurt anyone. My routes to school in the morning changed everyday. I was warned about the possibility of being kidnapped, a real danger in the Philippines. Yet, I was never scared. It was normal. Honestly, I have feared for my safety more visiting and living in the U.S. than I ever did abroad. This might have been naivete (probably a large chunk), or that I was never in any real danger because I have never lived in a truly dangerous place, or it might have been because every where you go can be dangerous and you just become inured to it. I have worried more about dangerous traffic/stomach illnesses than any sort of targeted attack.

The reason I have such respect for diplomats, and I think that everyone should, is because it is their job to meet suspicion, anger, and even hatred with aplomb and friendliness. Is it easier to match aggression or to be the bigger person and extend the first hand of peace? My wording should tell you my answer. For all of those who have looked at diplomats as apologists and weak political sycophants, I tell you that might does not equal strength. As I said, I mourn Ambassador Stevens' death but I also applaud and commend his courage. Don't take away the bravery behind his death. He willingly served in an unstable nation that was only beginning to find a new identity. He supported and was admired by the Libyan people. I want to be clear that I am not trying to remove culpability from the guilty parties or to say that there couldn't have been more done to protect him, I am merely trying to show my respect for a man who was killed in the line of duty.

Sorry for the mini-rant. There is only so much I can read about the politicization of his death without getting a bit angry. Anyway...

I currently live in Turkey, a predominantly Muslim country. The government is a secular representative democracy that struggles a bit with fully allowing freedom of speech (I had researched that blogger would be blocked here but I haven't had a problem). When the first reports of violence began to make headlines, I received concerned messages from a number of people, including my mother. The truth is, I wasn't even aware of changing attitudes towards US citizens until I read the newspapers and saw the protests that came from western cities such as London all the way to Indonesia. If you look at the reports on Turkey you can clearly see a peaceful process in both Istanbul and Ankara akin to what was shown in London. I was in Cappadocia at the time and that area had the most Americans that I have met in one place in Turkey. No one I met was concerned or willing to cut their hot air balloon ride short. It seems Alanya is more for the Germans, Russians, and Scandinavians.

Turks are the friendliest people I have ever met, and in the days following the reports I have not noticed a single change in response to my assertion that I am American. Turkey is one of the most amazing countries that I have ever lived in (a list that includes major cities in China, India, the U.S., and the Philippines). I never met a people 99.9% of which are so willing to go out of their way to help complete strangers without expecting anything in return. The 0.1% comprises one reckless and rude cab driver. I have so many examples of the Turkish people in Istanbul, Cappadocia, Alanya, and Antalya who have extended a warm welcome to me and the Boy (especially him since they think he looks Turkish and are tickled that he is American). I have never once felt in any sort of danger in this country. I haven't even been ogled at, which is something the U.S. can't even boast.

There are some extreme and terrifying people in the world who are capable of doing some heinous crimes. However, if you measure the actions of a few against an entire country or group of people, then no one would ever want to go anywhere outside of their homes, and even those aren't safe against abuse. The point that I am clumsily trying to illustrate is that you shouldn't let fear paralyze you. I have the capacity in me to shy away from uncomfortable situations and even new circumstances. Every time I get to the top of a cliff before jumping my heart pounds in my chest and my mouth goes dry. My limbs get shaky weak and I have a lead weight in the pit of my stomach. To counteract this, I just take a running leap and go for it. I act like I am fearless because pretending helps me believe. I don't want to be the type of person who is so afraid of life that I never end up doing anything. 

I am not telling you to be stupid and unsafe and willingly place yourself in a dodgy situation. Are there places in the world that are dangerous? Sure. I most likely won't be visiting Libya, Syria, the Democratic Republic of Congo, any part of Sudan, Saudi Arabia (mostly for the constraints on what I can wear and that I would need a male relative chaperone)... Will I wander into an unknown neighborhood at night? Nope! Will I stay at a party where a guy is really making me uncomfortable? I will be grabbing my friends and heading for the door. There is a fine line between being unwilling to test your own boundaries and being too cavalier about your own safety. Everyone has their own happy medium, I am just asking you to make sure that you aren't stopping short of yours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment